Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A very complicated history

With permission from my beautiful Callie, I am going to write a bit about our very complicated relationship, and how we got to where we are now: exploring what I call a monogamous polyamorous relationship.  (More on that to come in a future post)  Now, let's start at the very beginning (as they say in The Sound of Music, it's a very good place to start).


A (not so) brief history of our relationship:
  • Callie realized she was attracted to women well before Rhonda ever beat the realization out of me.  She told her husband immediately (you may remember, Callie is the most honest and forthcoming person I've ever met).  Her husband, finding it hot, pushed her into exploring these attractions.
  • A few months later, Callie found Shy, where I had been a member for about a month.  She was on my radar (she doesn't believe it) but because of particular circumstances all we ever talked about was Grey's Anatomy.
  • One day circumstances changed, and we started talking.  Neither of us knows how it happened, but the feelings hit us BAM! outta nowhere.  I was completely hooked, head over heels in love in under a day.  My heart didn't stand a chance, it was hers.
  • We began discussing how we would make our love work.  She was married, and even though her husband was kind of an ass in the beginning of her sexual exploration, she loved him and never had any intention of leaving him.  (Again, her husband was aware of everything.  She kept him involved, never kept any secrets from him).
  • Our relationship progressed and our love was growing every minute.  Her husband had a very hard time with it, and understandably so.  In the heat of the moment, he told her she had to choose.  She chose me.
  • I felt like I had the fairy tale.  Our story was pulled straight out of Imagine Me & You.  An unstoppable force had met a seemingly immoveable object, and the object moved.  We began planning our life together.
  • As happy as we were together, madly in love and sure we belonged together, Callie was still having doubts (and rightfully so).  Her husband is a good man.  He's all she's ever known.  They've been together since she was 17.  And she loves him.  
  • We decided that in order for us to have a chance, she needed to try with him, to make sure that they DIDN'T have a chance.  So she was "with" both of us for about a week.  
  • Callie decided she needed to commit to her husband, and would never fully know if she could make it work with him if she was giving so much of herself to me.  She also desperately wanted to spare me the hurt and pain I was going through.
  • We were both miserable, and we got back together.
  • Not too long after, we were both struggling with the situation. A lot.  She couldn't imagine her life without him, I loved her too much to share. So we ended it, I walked away.  To try to give them the happiness they deserve, to try and give myself what I thought I deserved.
  • It was the worst time of our lives.  I found I couldn't breathe without her.  My life no longer made sense.  Everything I thought I ever wanted out of life, every dream I had...it was gone.  
So now, here we are, back where we started.  Trying to figure out how to handle a polyamorous relationship. But this time the stakes are higher.  Our hearts are completely in it.  We (all) know what we have to lose.  We are committed to making it work, no matter what.  Because we're worth it.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Mel,
    I am so sorry that you have been through all of this. It is definitely hard to share the person you love with someone else. But what do you do when their heart is divided and you can't live without them?
    I wish I had answers. I wish I could say it gets easier... but I don't know that. Just know, I'm always here if you need a shoulder! That I can at least say definitively! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. Told ya it was tough! I didn't want to get in to too much about her marriage, but she's said it would be okay to write about this, and she approved this post before I published it. It's a very tricky situation.

      But like you said, I can't live without her.

      Delete
  2. Mel- I am rooting for you all. It sounds like you found your soulmate. That is a challenging situation to be in for all involved. Best wishes. Sincerely Jazmenha from CCL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaz, I appreciate the support. I really do believe she is my soul mate, which is weird, because I never believed in that stuff before. It's a very difficult situation for all, but I would walk through hell to be with her.

      Delete

I LOVE comments! Thanks for reading :)
"Anonymous" users - Under "comment as" you can use "Name/URL" to enter a name (any name you want) and just leave the URL blank.